Sunday 26 August 2012

Material - Holey stones

 

Holey stones

 
 
 

My mum has always believed that stones with holes through them are lucky, don't ask. As children we searched beaches looking for her lucky stones.

I don't think they are lucky, but I do think they are cool. I always thought the holes came from wear and tear via the sea and sand. I was 35 when a fossil expert on atour of Brook beach explained that the holes were in actual fact fossils. Each hole representing where a sponge finger once lived a long long long time ago.

On some beaches they are prolific, while on others you have to look very hard to find even one holey stone. Again my kids join in the hunt, with the reward of 10p for one hole and 50p for a stone with more than 1 hole.

They are very stunning, and when strung together they create amazing door stops, paper weight and hangers......



No comments:

Post a Comment